How To Build a Wooden ShedBy: Carports, Tents and Sheds Staff Writers
There is nothing like a wooden shed in your yard. A wooden shed provides the storage space you need while still being an attractive addition to your outdoor space. Unlike metal sheds or plastic sheds, wooden sheds offer natural beauty and style and blend in nicely with your outdoor décor. If you are interested in a wooden shed for your yard, you have the option of buying a wooden shed or building a wooden shed on your own. You can also choose to buy wooden shed kits, which combine the best of both options.
The first thing you need to decide when building a wooden shed is what type of shed you wish to build. You can choose from among wooden garden sheds, wooden storage sheds, wooden tool sheds, wooden potting sheds, and other shed designs. There is not a big difference between the different types of sheds other than the size and some features on them, but you should know what type of shed you are looking to build before you get started. For example, a wooden garden shed may have added decorative features, such as window boxes or a front porch to add interest when it is placed in a garden. A wooden storage shed, in contrast, may have large barn style doors and a sloped entrance to make it easy to roll large equipment in and out of the shed with ease. A wooden tool shed may have a workbench built inside and lots of shelves and racks for tool storage.
Once you have decided what type of wooden shed you want to build, then the next step is deciding whether you want to purchase a wooden shed kit or start with some wooden shed plans and build the shed from scratch. Wooden shed kits make it easier to build because all of the components of the shed are included in the kit, along with detailed instructions. By using a kit, you can construct the shed with minimal carpentry skills needed and don’t have to worry too much about messing up the design because everything is already measured and cut for you. Wooden shed kits are basically like prefab wooden sheds that haven’t been assembled yet, but all of the components are included and just need to be put together. The drawbacks to using wooden storage shed kits (or any type of wooden shed kit) is that they cost more than building a wooden shed from scratch and limit you in design because you can only choose from a select number of wooden shed styles that are available as kits.
If, on the other hand, you have some carpentry skills and are ready to tackle a bigger project, then you can build a wooden storage shed from scratch. Whether you are looking to build a large wooden shed or a small wooden shed, the process is basically the same. The more detailed work comes with the type of doors you install, what type of roof you have, whether you include windows, a porch, a sloped entrance, window boxes and other features. You can find wooden storage shed plans by searching online or looking through a book that contains building plans. Some wooden shed plans are free and others you must pay for, but it is important to look over the plans to make sure they are clear, include all necessary information and are easy to follow.
Once you’re ready to build your wooden shed, there are a few key points to keep in mind:
- Start with a level ground – It is important that the ground you build your wooden shed on is level. It is best to build the shed on a concrete slab foundation, although a wooden shed can also be built upon a wooden foundation as well. You should check with your local building codes to see if there are any requirements you need to follow when building the shed. Check the surrounding area for drainage issues and make sure that any ground area is sloped away from the shed to provide proper drainage so that the wood is not sitting in water when it rains.
- Choose the wood – You will be putting a lot of work into building your outdoor wooden shed, so you want to make sure it lasts. The best wood to use is cedar, since it will look good and will last a long time, while resisting decay and insect damage. No matter what type of wood is used for outdoor wooden sheds, it is important that the wood be periodically sealed. It can also be painted or stained.
- Decide on roofing materials – Roofing materials can be regular asphalt shingles as used on a home roof, or any type of roofing material that will protect the structure from sun exposure and precipitation.
- Make sure the shed is properly anchored – In addition to having a solid and level foundation, one of the most important aspects of building a wooden shed is making sure that the shed structure is firmly anchored to the foundation. This keeps it safe and secure. It is also important to make sure that the underlying structure is properly squared.
- Follow step-by-step directions – If you have invested in wooden shed plans, it is important to follow the step-by-step directions for how to build the shed. It is not an overly difficult process to build a shed, but if the tasks are not carried out in the proper order, it can make things more difficult or can result in problems during the construction process.
- Install windows and doors – One of the hardest parts of building a wooden shed is installing the wooden shed doors and windows. In some cases, you can purchase prefab wooden shed doors to make the process easier or you can build the doors from scratch as well. It is easier to purchase premade doors and then simply install the doors and windows according to the shed plans.
Learning how to build a wooden shed is not an overly difficult process but does require some basic carpentry skills, as well as time to complete the task. Wooden shed kits make the construction process substantially easier but cost more than building a wooden shed on your own. Whether you are interested in building large wooden sheds or small wooden sheds, however, handling the construction process on your own rather than buying full prefab wooden sheds will save you a lot of money. If a cheap wooden shed is what you want but you don’t want cheap quality to go along with the price, then you can build a quality shed on your own for the price of cheap wooden sheds for sale in stores.